Hello friends ! Today we will learn to make gourd gram dal. It is very tasty in the food. Chana Dal with Lauki – a great combination of lentil and vegetable.Bengal gram dal mixed with boiled bottle gourd makes it a nutritional delight. Bottle gourd also referred as lauki, dudhi or gheeya has medicinal properties. It takes a little longer to make it. Most people do not like to eat gourd. But gourd is beneficial for health. It must be eaten. By the way, many dishes are made from gourd. But friends, we are making gourd grams of gourd
Its a common dal which is prepared in nearly every Indian household. Being so rich in its nutritional content, I try to include this dal in my meal plan every other week. To make it more appealing for your kids you can mash the boiled lauki and mix it in the dal.
Preparation time – 5-10 minutes
The time to put in preparation – 20-30 minutes
Ingredients Of Lauki(Ghiya)(Bottle gourd) Chana Dal
- 1 cup (180 gm) chane ki dal (Bengal Gram)
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp (30 gm) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp jeera (cummin seeds)
- 2 tej patta (bay leaves)
- 1/4 cup (60 gm) grated tomatoes
- 2-3 green chillies, slit
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp powdered dhania (coriander seeds)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups (500 gm) ghiya/lauki (bottle gourd) peeled and cut into small pieces, 1 1/2cms/ 3/4
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Guys can be eaten and fed gourd with gourd gram flour easily. Everyone in our house likes to eat it with hot bread. I also serve lemurous green chillies along with it which enhances the taste of lentils with bread.
Method for Lauki(Ghiya)(Bottle gourd) Chana Dal
Heat ghee in a Pressure cooker.
Once the ghee is hot, add onion and fry for 3-4 minutes.
Add ginger, garlic, green chilli and tomato and fry for another 2 – 3 minutes.
Add lauki and fry for a minute.
Add soaked chana dal, turmeric powder and salt to taste along with 4 cups of water and close the lid.
Pressure cook until done. I cooked for one whistle on high heat and 1 on low heat.
Remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release.
Heat ghee in a pan.
Once the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and hing and let them crackle for a few seconds.
Remove the pan from heat.
Add red chilli powder and pour the tempering over the cooked dal.
Serve hot with rice or roti.
You can use regular pressure cooker if microwave cooker is not available to make this recipe.